Thursday, February 2, 2012

END


Set Your Sights To North.



            Just over six months ago my life was blessed with an experience many people will never have. I was given the blessing of knowing how to love someone over myself completely. My rollercoaster had finally come to a stop, and I could get out the other side and truly say “I am glad I did this”. Six months ago, Darling was given a chance at something many children are not.

            Originally I started this blog for two reasons. The first main reason being that I wanted to provide an account of what it was like to go through adoption; for Darling to read some day. However I have looked back on what I wrote, versus what I remember and I have noticed that there are more discrepancies than I ever would have thought. It seems a lot of the things I said, were not the reality at all; that I remembered things a certain way to make it seem a certain way. Perhaps I was just fooling myself in order to get through the decision. More likely I was fooling myself because I didn’t want to accept the answer that was already in front of me. Either way, the outcome was the same. The outcome was something more amazing than I could ever imagine. And for that I am eternally grateful.

            The second reason I started to blog about this journey, was to help those looking for it. So that birthparents, adoptive parents, and those considering adoption could have a little insight from a point of view that doesn’t get told very often. And that is what I am writing about today.

            To whom it may concern:
There comes a point in adoption where you make a decision about how involved in that world you want to be. For many birthmothers out there, they think of the blessed lives they have because of it, and want to support it in every way that they can. And of course Adoptive Parents and Hopeful Adoptive Parents want to support the whole thing. After all they are hoping to be blessed by the child(ren) they have, or are waiting for. And the adoption world should be celebrated! It is the most awesome thing I have ever experienced in my life.

            Well I have spent a long time now thinking about this. While I feel that this blog has been a help to many, I would like to keep it that way. I don’t want to force myself to publish new posts that don’t say anything, or at least anything new, if there is a chance that I will end up saying something negative because of something that happened to me at that point that isn’t really pertinent to the subject at hand.

            I see it like this. After you have a placement, you have become so used to having your life and all your thoughts revolve around adoption that it can be difficult to move forward and get back on with life. But that is what we need to do most. We can’t sit here and keep going it over and over just to have the same outcome, because then we are given the chance to think about what could have been. What could have been doesn’t matter, and there is no need for it. The only thing that matters is what is happening now.

            What is happening now? I have a wonderful birthdaughter Darling that has an amazing family. She fits with them so well it is more than I could have ever asked for. And now I am going to go on with my life. Set my path forward, and keep my sights on what is important. So this is the end of my adoption blog. Thank you for your support, and thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
Benjamin.

10 comments:

  1. I think it's the healthy thing to do. Have a great life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a pleasure to follow your journey. Best of luck to you Benjamin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done.

    Thank you for writing what you did, and congratulations on seeing that you are at a different place now than you were a year ago.

    And good luck going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, thank you for sharing your story. Sorry this comment is a little late! Thanks for giving a voice to birthfathers who choose adoption and go through the process, it is a voice that is lacking in the adoption community. I agree that moving forward is the best way to honor your choice and all of your lives. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ben, please just call her your daughter. Being called my parents' "birthdaughter" would just break my heart.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I sincerely hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, Ukraine is not able to provide its kids at orphanages with all necessary things. However, we can help the orphans together. Follow the link https://hopenowusa.org please and learn how you can help.

    ReplyDelete